Ever since I started sewing all my knowledge comes mainly from the plethora of tutorials available online and a few Craftsy lessons; although all these were very helpful I felt that I needed something more, something to take me to the next level and expand my sewing skills. When I run across an advertisement with the title Make Your Own Burberry Style Gabardine I thought that was what I was looking for and took the decision to attend the class. The result is this very coat, a love and hate project; it will take some time until I will actually wear it without having bad feelings about it, as it appeared my decision wasn’t so wise.
In a few words, although the teacher was a known designer and a lovely person, she didn’t have much experience in teaching and sewing; the lack of organization and teaching ability made the completion of this coat a difficult task. After many hours of sewing, ripping, tremendous headaches each time she used a normal pencil to mark my fabric, sewing and a lot more of ripping, pattern pieces that didn’t match leading to even more ripping the Gabardine is finished.
The pattern was provided to me as part of the sewing course, I still have a copy of it but I don’t think will use it again as it has many flaws. A double breasted trench coat featuring raglan sleeves, back /front flaps and epaulets.
I used a wool gabardine as main fabric and mulberry silk for the lining. Bought 3 meters of gabardine for 5 euros, after I had completed both the coat and the lining I tried it on and we noticed that the fabric was see through and you could easily see the print of the lining.
My teacher suggested to buy a solid lining fabric and use that instead but I deffenetely wanted to use this gorgeous silk I purchased from Aliexpress and decided to add an underlining of self fabric. Purchased another 2 meters of gabardine and made another layer, we treated it as one with the lining and the problem was solved, this way the coat became a bit heavy but also warmer.
This is the first time I use and wear silk, it was not treated as it deserves but I love how soft it feels and that gorgeous print pops up and gives a designer look in my Gabardine.
This project happens to be the exact meaning of the Fashionista Barganista contest of Pattern Review and so I decided to participate; luckily I finished it just on time with the last steps being the buttonholes and buttons which I started sewing on Friday night, at 5 o’clock Saturday morning the last button was sewn and my Gabardine finally completed.
That’s all about this project.
Take care and happy sewing!