για Ελληνικά πήγαινε εδώ!
A while ago Jennifer from Jennifer Lauren Handmade opened a sign up list for pattern reviewers, I’ve bought some of her patterns and I’ve been also a tester in the past so I know that her patterns are perfectly drafted and I love her design aesthetic so off course I signed up and I was happy to be accepted as one of her reviewers for the Laneway Dress, her latest pattern which I got for free in return for my honest review!
The Laneway has a 40’s vibe, features open ended front darts, asymmetrical or centred collar built in the facing of the bodice. B,C and D cup sizes, V back neckline and off course pockets.
I used the copy shop option as I recently found a shop in the centre of Athens that prints A0 for 1,40euros per page which is a really good price comparing to the 2.50 – 5.00 euros that most of the shops offer here. I printed 3 of the 5 pages and I loved that I didn’t have to assemble the pattern as I usually do with all the pdfs.
I made the asymmetrical collar in a C cup and I used a fabric that I had in my stash 2 years now. I remember it was called a French chambray, is so soft in the touch and I had been saving it all this time mostly because I didn’t know what to do with it, suddenly the Laneway Dress seemed the perfect pattern for it and now that the dress is ready I’m happy with this match despite the fact that it was quite a pain to match those stripes especially in the zipper closure.
Apart form matching the stripes there was no other difficulty in making this dress. All the notches matched perfectly which I always love when it happens as it is a guide to the correct construction of the garment, the instructions are comprehensive and detailed, I would normally not need to read the instructions as all the techniques used in this pattern are not new to me but I did it anyway so that I can have an opinion on that as I’m reviewing this pattern. What I think could be the most difficult part Is the front neckline opening but that is very well explained and if you follow the instructions and proceed slowly you’ll see that it’s not really difficult at all.
The only thing that I did different from what the pattern suggests is to attach the sleeve open and not after closing it, this is my favourite method and I find it more stress free for me. I followed her advice though to make only one row of basting stitch along the seamalowance for the gathering of the sleeve, I usually make two, one in each side of the seamline but Jennifer makes it clear, mentioning more than once, in her instructions that only one basting line is necessary in the seam alowance as in the end it’s only the seam alowance that gatheres and not the actual sleeve.
Now my favourite part, I can’t describe how much I love wearing this dress, I love this style on me, I love all the special details and I love how well it fits, even the sleeves that are always my biggest issue, even in plus size patterns, fit me so well with no need for alterations, I have quite wide arms and I was happy to discover that this is one of the few patterns that fits me perfectly in this area and has just the necessary amount of ease, this alone is a huge plus for me. The only fitting issue that I spotted after I took the pictures for the blog is that I’ll probably have to take a bit the horizontal back seam in the skirt part as I see some excess fabric there.
After wearing the dress quite a few times I noticed that the back V neckline stretched a bit, probably this is because of my fabric as while I was ironing it I had to be very cautious since it stretched a lot. Now I have added a stripe of fusible interfacing along the seam of the back neckline (the facing was already interfaced so that was not the problem here) and I hope it solves the issue!